A welcoming space offering a range of services to support people through crisis and access the right assistance at the right time.
How can we help?
- Emergency Assistance: We respond to practical needs and provide relief through the provision of food, clothing, pharmacy vouchers (for needed medication), shoe vouchers for children, blankets and other linen. Emergency assistance is available Monday to Friday (9am – 12noon). Anyone is welcome to walk in to our site.
- Community Information via Reception: We respond to, guide and refer issues presented by the community. This is supported by a digital charging station and community information.
- Community Centre Activities: We host a range of complementary agencies and service activities, including Tax Help and legal services. To access our visiting legal services or Tax Help please call the Magdalene Centre or drop in and ask.
- Community Financial Services: We offer a range of financial counselling and literacy services, including support and advocacy with both creditors and Centrelink to assist clients resolve financial crises and develop financial management skills.
Related services include:
- No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS): a loan to purchase a needed household good (like a fridge or washing machine), paying no interest over the 9-12 month loan period
- Financial Counselling: specialist advice on managing creditors, debts, while building an individual’s confidence in managing their money. Financial counselling appointments are held Monday to Friday (throughout the day). To book a financial counselling appointment please call 1800 759 707 and we will match you with the best financial service to meet your needs and book your appointment.
About The Magdalene Centre
The support services from our previous Magdalene Centre sites have recently moved to a new combined Adelaide CBD site with other AnglicareSA programs and services.
Since 1905, when St John’s Mission Church on Moore St became known as St Mary Magdalene’s Church, the name ‘Magdalene’ has been at the heart of life in Adelaide.
In the late 1980s, the ‘second Mag’, the Collective of St Mary Magdalene, grew from a small group providing sandwiches in Hurtle Square to a Saturday Night Drop-in Centre serving free meals to people experiencing homelessness and marginalisation.
A few years later, St Mary Magdalene’s invited neighbouring Anglican parishes of St John’s Halifax St and St Peter’s Cathedral to unite with Anglican Community Services (now AnglicareSA) to offer a weekday support program for people experiencing homelessness and marginalisation. Through this the ‘third Mag’, the Magdalene Centre was born.
Over time, the Magdalene Centre’s service scope grew across various locations. The 82 Gilbert St site has enabled us to unify the Magdalene Centre under one roof, to better support those we serve.
AnglicareSA is supported by more than 300 volunteers who generously donate their time, energy and expertise to help us deliver our programs.
As a volunteer, you are helping South Australians from all walks of life. It gives you the opportunity to gain both new skills and work experience while giving back to the community.
AnglicareSA welcomes anyone who is willing to share skills, expertise, passion and time to express your interest in volunteering. Our goal is always to match your interest and skills to the most appropriate volunteer role available.
Have you ever thought about volunteering? Find out more here.
We couldn’t do the work we do without our generous donors, especially our regular donors and partners who ensure the long-term future of AnglicareSA.
You can donate now to provide a brighter future for South Australians in need.
- Visit 82 Gilbert St, Adelaide
- Ring the centre directly on (08) 8305 9434