Anglicare SA

Tenants’ Information and Advocacy Service


TIAS is a free, state-wide and independent service which provides information, advice and advocacy to low income tenants in private rental, community housing or public housing who have a problem with their tenancy or landlord or face eviction.

What the Service Offers

Last financial year, TIAS fielded 3,200 telephone enquiries, and advocated for over 300 people to housing providers/landlords and at Residential Tenancies Tribunal and Housing Appeal hearings.

We understand that every individual has different needs when it comes to housing, so every question is going to be different, but we hope this site provides some answers.


TIAS may be able to assist you if you are:

  • A tenant or applicant of Housing SA
  • Renting privately, with a household income of less than $45,000 per annum
  • A member, non-member, tenant or applicant of a Housing Co-operative or Housing Association

TIAS can assist with any issues related to your tenancy such as

  • Leases
  • Bond disputes
  • Maintenance
  • RTT processes
  • Appeal processes
  • Negotiations with your housing provider e.g. rent arrears
  • Housing SA Relocations and Transfers

TIAS cannot advocate for you, but may still be able to provide you with advice and general information if you are:

  • A resident of a boarding house or rooming house
  • Living in a caravan park or residential park
  • Seeking emergency accommodation
  • A landlord
  • An agency or organisation
  • A homeowner
  • Living in private rental and your income exceeds $45,000

How to Contact TIAS

You are welcome to talk to one of our Housing Advocates on 8305 9459, or for callers in country South Australia, the free number is 1800 060 462.

Sometimes you may have to leave a message, but we make every endeavour to reply to your call. Please leave a daytime phone number so we can get back to you.

Our Housing Advocates also work at other locations around Adelaide. They are at:

To make an appointment to see a Housing Advocate at any of the above locations please call 8305 9459.

TIAS can also be contacted by email on

Our hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can TIAS provide emergency housing?

A. No. We are sorry, but TIAS does not provide emergency housing. You may be able to get help from:

  • Homelessness Gateway Service on 1800 003 308
  • Domestic Violence and Aboriginal Family Violence Gateway Service on 1800 800 098
  • Youth Gateway Service, (Trace-A-Place) on 1800 807 364
  • Housing SA on 131 299

Q. I’ve received a Form 2, am I being evicted on the date stated?

A. No. A Form 2 is a warning letter, you need to rectify the breach by the date stated. If you do not rectify the breach by this date the landlord/agent can apply to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal for a hearing to have you evicted. This may result in Vacant Possession being ordered.

Q. My lease is ending. What can I do?

A. Don’t leave it to the last minute. Contact the landlord/agent approximately 8 weeks prior to the end of the lease to find out if it will be renewed. If it is not renewed and you continue to remain in the property beyond the end of the lease you may be evicted.

For fixed term tenancies entered into on or after 1 March 2014 either the landlord or the tenant may terminate a fixed term agreement at the end of the term after giving at least 28 days’ written notice.  If this notice is not given by either party, the agreement will continue as a periodic tenancy.

Q. Can my Housing Provider visit or inspect my property without prior notice?

A. No. Your Housing Provider has to give you 7 to 14 days notice of his/her intention to enter your property to inspect.

However, he/she can attend without prior notification in the case of an emergency or to make urgent repairs.

Q. Can I withhold rent because maintenance hasn’t been completed at my property?

A. No. Rent is a separate issue to maintenance repairs. Contact your Housing Provider or TIAS for further information on how to have maintenance completed.

Q. What if I can’t pay my rent?

A. Firstly, try to arrange a payment plan with your Housing Provider. If this is unsuccessful or you are in a significant amount of arrears contact Housing SA and they may be able to provide some financial assistance if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Q. What type of lease am I on?

A. You can either be on a periodic or fixed term lease.
More information

Q. How do I get my bond back?

A. To have your bond refunded you need to come to an agreement with your Housing Provider. If an agreement isn’t reached you can dispute the bond claim.
More information

Q. I’m sharing with others – can I just move out?

A. No. If you name is on the lease you need to arrange for this to be removed prior to leaving the property. If this cannot be arranged you may be liable for any unpaid rent or damage that is caused to the property as long as your name remains on the lease.
More information

Q. Can I break my fixed term lease?

A. No. A fixed term lease is binding and neither party can end the agreement unless there have been a breach of the tenancy conditions.
More information

Q. What is the difference between shared tenancy and subtenancy?

A. A shared tenancy is where two or more people are listed on the lease and share equal responsibilities for the tenancy. A sub tenant/head tenant works differently where the sub-tenant treats the head tenant as their landlord.
More information

Q. Can my rent be increased?

A. Yes, if it is written into your tenancy agreement the rent can be increased every 12 months provided you are given 60 days’ notice in writing.


  • Elizabeth Mission

    91-93 Elizabeth Way

    Monday between 9.00am – 12.00pm

  • St Luke’s Rectory

    35a Whitmore Square

    Wednesday between 9.30am – 11.30am

  • Port Adelaide

    171 St Vincent Street
    Port Adelaide

    Thursday between 9.30am – 11.30am

  • Morphett Vale

    347 Main South Road
    Morphett Vale

    Friday between 9.00am – 12.00pm